Tuesday 6 August 2013

Meanwhile, not in Edinburgh...





Not at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival? No, me neither.

It feels almost embarrassing (totally embarrassing) to not be trawling down The Royal Mile, watching street theatre and collecting flyers for this, that and the other comedy, cabaret or re-imagining of a Shakespeare (if you are there, Smooth Faced Gents is doing an all-female production of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus. WISH I was there to see it). But, for whatever reason, we remain here in the south with the auditoriums still bubbling away in London (and elsewhere) with actually, quite a lot to offer.  Here's a modest selection...

(My recommendations are entirely second-hand.  Sorry.  Graduate life fails to pay for my theatre tickets.)


A Season in the Congo

by Aimé Césaire
From a translation by Ralph Manheim




This has been recommended to me by Mariana Taragano, director of TaraganoTheatre.  She absolutely urged all of us involved in her series of physical theatre workshops to go and see this production.  Combining music and dance, she assured me that it is definitely ‘a play’, and the other disciplines are there to enhance the communication of the story.  Plus, anything directed by Joe Wright (Pride and Prejudice, Atonement, Anna Karenina) must be worth seeing.


The Same Deep Water As Me

by Nick Payne


Nick Payne

After the success of his 2012 play ‘Constellations’, which made the transfer to Broadway, I am eager to see what other stories Nick Payne can tell.  I met Rafe Spall a couple of times, who has played the role of Roland since the beginning, and he said it is brilliant.  Of course he is biased, but I trust his judgement.  And I trust that Nick Payne is that rare calibre of writer who can produce excellent, exciting plays time and time again.  He has up until now, so why doubt him?  Also, a story set within the world of personal injury compensation is surely ripe for a few laughs.

(The Donmar's Barclays Front Row scheme is probably the way forward if you're looking for a more wallet-friendly ticket.)


Chimerica

by Lucy Kirkwood


Tiananmen Square


Inspired by the infamous photo of the man stood in front of the tanks in Tiananmen Square in 1989, I have heard and read only good things about this play.  The story of the photojournalist who seeks to discover what happened to the brave man he captured on film, I think this play is set to be one of those important, thoughtful productions that you (and I) would regret not being a part of for one night.

A little bit on the pricey side if you’re looking to book straight away, given that the only seats left are the £49.50 ones (wince), but if you’re free and willing to phone the theatre on the day for possible return tickets, you might be lucky.




A Midsummer Night’s Dream

William Shakespeare

A Midsummer Night's Dream, Current production at The Globe

For the Shakespeare fans, who can resist 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream'?  Even beyond my GCSE study guide, I still find this play magical.
(If you do see it, look out for Luke Thompson in the cast.  I met him when I did a summer school at Guildhall School of Music and Drama, and know him to be a brilliant presence on stage, as well as a lovely person.  He’s definitely one to watch and this is his professional debut.)


The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable

Punchdrunk and the National Theatre

Temple Studios, 31 London Street, W2 1DJ

'The Drowned Man', Punchdrunk


I think this one goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.  The magic is in your own personal experience of this show, apparently, so I haven't even been told much about it.  Only that it is inspired by Georg Büchner's play 'Woyzeck', and to go and see it, which is good enough advice for me.


Enjoy!  And let me know what you think...

 

(P.S: Also worth catching in Edinburgh is Papercut Theatre's XY Event.  It is a series of genderless plays which I think sounds fantastic.  Look out for those directed by Poppy Corbett.)

No comments:

Post a Comment